The NEPHSTROM consortium reached a significant milestone when they held the tenth plenary project meeting in Dublin on January 30th, 2020. The meeting was hosted by Pintail Limited, and coincided with the successful treatment of the final patient to be included in the low dose cohort of the clinical trial and provided an opportunity for the consortium to review the progress made with the project as well as plan for the months ahead.
The NEPHSTROM project team recently had another very successful and productive plenary meeting in Birmingham U.K. hosted by NEPHSTROM partner UHBFT. The meeting began with a warm welcome by NEPHSTROM Coordinator Prof Tim O’Brien, NUIG and a roundtable of introductions for any new attendees. In attendance, there were 23 delegates representing NEPHSTROM partner sites. Scientific Programme Manager Dr Grace Davey, NUIG refreshed the team by presenting the project plan and current timelines. Mark Sweetnam from partner Pintail Limited reported on administrative and project management updates including a review of deliverable and milestones and reporting requirements.
After a clinical production update from the GMP manufacturing sites, NEPHSTROM trial sponsor IRFMN updated the group on the latest status of the NEPHSTROM clinical trial. The timelines and plans for the next six months were presented and discussed in detail. Each clinical partner reported on patient recruitment numbers and future plans to do so including additional means to enhance recruitment. At this time the project is in the very exciting phase of patient enrolment and infusion and each site (Italy, U.K. and Ireland) are actively proceeding with administration of the blinded product (NEPHSTROM ORBCEL-M or placebo) to enroled patients. After lunch, QUB provided the team with a summary of what has been accomplished in the last six months and future plans in terms of the health economics aspects of NEPHSTROM. The meeting also included a review of recent dissemination and communication tasks and success stories that have been captured in the media including press releases re the trial and scientific presentations of NEPHSTROM at UK Kidney Week and the American Society of Nephrology meeting in San Diego, USA. The meeting concluded with a round-up of project tasks, publication plans and post-meeting actions.
- Contract/Grant agreement number
- EC contribution
- Starting date
1 May 2015
- NEPHSTROM study published in Kidney360 journal 28th January 2021
- Drs Martino Introna and Josée Golay publish NEPHSTROM research in Frontiers in Immunology 11th December 2020
- NUI Galway’s Prof Matt Griffin presents NEPHSTROM to an array of international audiences 27th October 2020
- NEPHSTROM presented at RenalToolBox ITN Workshop, Galway 21st October 2020
- NEPHSTROM Galway trial team adapts to new patient safety needs 17th June 2020
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- Academisch Ziekenhuis Leiden – Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum
- Orbsen Therapeutics
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen
- Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri
- NHS Blood and Transplant
- University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- The Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Pintail Ltd
- Terumo BCT Europe N.V.
- Azienda Ospedaliera Papa Giovanni XXIII Bergamo
- Queen’s University Belfast