NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) manages the UK national voluntary donation system for blood, tissues, organs and stem cells. NHSBT supply c.2M units of blood a year and last year received 3,500 organ, 4,000 tissue donations and banked 2,200 cord blood units. The Cellular and Molecular Therapies (CMT) Function within NHSBT is responsible for the routine provision of stem cells for transplant across the country and for the development and manufacture of novel advanced cell therapies that fall under MHRA regualtions as ATMPs. CMT operates from eight UK sites, consisting of HTA licensed, JACIE accredited cell processing facilities serving regional BMT programmes and the Clinical Biotechnology Centre at Langford near Bristol preparing DNA plasmids under GMP conditions. This network is supported by integrated infectious disease, bacteriology, red cell immunology, tissue typing, logistics and cold chain supply, Tissue Services and Therapeutic Apheresis Services (TAS), all covered under a single NHSBT Quality Management System (QMS).
- Contract/Grant agreement number
- EC contribution
- Starting date
1 May 2015
- NEPHSTROM public exhibition at Galway Science & Technology Festival 2018 26th November 2018
- NEPHSTROM presents at American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week, San Diego 30th October 2018
- NEPHSTROM Clinical Trial Underway at Four Locations 5th October 2018
- Five NEPHSTROM partners to participate in GMP November event in Galway 1st October 2018
- New NEPHSTROM study published in the CCLM 25th September 2018
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- Academisch Ziekenhuis Leiden – Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum
- Orbsen Therapeutics
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen
- Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri
- NHS Blood and Transplant
- University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- The Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Pintail Ltd
- Terumo BCT Europe N.V.
- Azienda Ospedaliera Papa Giovanni XXIII Bergamo
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 634086 . The material presented and views expressed here are the responsibility of the author(s) only. The EU Commission takes no responsibility for any use made of the information set out.