The Leiden University Medical Centre (LUMC) is one of the few academic medical centres in the Netherlands whose core activities include fundamental research. The interaction between fundamental research and patient care forms the basis of its success. LUMC has a major scientific role as a tester of new and existing medical technologies. The LUMC is one of the leading stem cell transplantation centres in the Netherlands and serves a European function with respect to island cell transplantation, solid organ transplantation and mesenchymal stem cell transplantation. The LUMC was awarded special government funding to develop regenerative medicine. LUMC has a strong record on MSC research encompassing the complete area of basic, preclinical and translational research and performance of clinical trials and holds licenses for harvesting, manipulating and exporting (stem) cell products. Since 2004, LUMC has been producing MSC products for clinical trial use and has been executing more than 10 single- and multi-centre studies (phase 1,2 and 3) with these products, also in international collaborations with partners in and outside Europe.
- Contract/Grant agreement number
- EC contribution
- Starting date
1 May 2015
- New NEPHSTROM publication from NUI Galway team 19th November 2019
- NEPHSTROM PI Prof. Matt Griffin visits leading US medical centre Mayo Clinic to discuss EU-funded mesenchymal stromal cell projects 18th November 2019
- NEPHSTROM Coordinator Prof Tim O’Brien wins prestigious Mayo Clinic Distinguished AlumniAward 24th October 2019
- New publication: “Mesenchymal Stromal Cells for Transplant Tolerance” from Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri IRCCS 5th July 2019
- NEPHSTROM plenary meeting hosted by Azienda Ospedaliera Papa Giovanni XXIII Bergamo 11th June 2019
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- Academisch Ziekenhuis Leiden – Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum
- Orbsen Therapeutics
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen
- Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri
- NHS Blood and Transplant
- University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- The Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Pintail Ltd
- Terumo BCT Europe N.V.
- Azienda Ospedaliera Papa Giovanni XXIII Bergamo
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 634086 . The material presented and views expressed here are the responsibility of the author(s) only. The EU Commission takes no responsibility for any use made of the information set out.