Featuring beautiful hand-drawn animations and interviews with leading stem cell scientists, STEM CELL REVOLUTIONS charts the history and scientific evolution of stem cell research – from the earliest experiments that first revealed stem cells in the body, to leading current scientific and clinical developments. Watch the trailer here
Question & answer session to follow led by Profs Tim O’ Brien and Matt Griffin
- Clinical Science Institute (CSI) Lecture Theatre – Costelloe Road NUI Galway, H91 YR71 Galway – View Map
For more details and to book tickets click here.
NEPHSTROM researchers based at the National University of Ireland, Galway have published a review paper entitled “The Promise of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy for Diabetic Kidney Disease” in the journal “Current Diabetes Reports”. The review is listed on PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
The NEPHSTROM project was highlighted on the EU’s Horizon 2020 News site.
The NEPHSTROM consortium enjoyed a constructive meeting at the end of May, hosted by Prof. Wim Fibbe and his team at theLeiden University Medical Centre in Leiden. Over the course of the two day meeting, progress was reviewed, plans were refined and preparations for the next six months of collaboration were made.
The photo shows the consortium in the University of Leiden’s historic Pieterskerkplein.
The NEPHSTROM project has registered its clinical trial on the open-access public clinical trials repository, ClinicalTrials.gov. This is an important step, and ensures that any scientist or member of the public can identity NEPHSTROM and its aims, approach and results. This is valuable for researchers who want to review all trials in a particular disease, or using a particular type of therapy. See the online information here
The consortium enjoyed a constructive meeting at the end of November, hosted by Prof Beppe Remuzzi and his team at the Insitute Mario Negri in Bergamo. Progress was reviewed, plans were refined and preparations for the next six months of collaboration were made.
The photo shows the consortium at the Institute Mario Negri.
NEPHSTROM partner NHSBT received good coverage in the UK and international diabetes media in October.
Diabetes breakthrough: New stem cells that can halt kidney disease about to be tested
express.co.uk, 19 Oct 2015, UK, Keyword: NHS Blood and Transplant, Journalist: Jon Austin
Dr Eric Austin, head of Stem Cell Immunotherapy at the Advanced Therapy Unit within the Stem Cells and Immunotherapies department at NHS Blood and Transplant’s site in Speke, Liverpool, said: “This is an exciting project for us to be involved with – especially as the treatment has the potential to lead to life saving outcomes for a major illness.”
STEM CELLS TRIAL TO HELP DIABETES PATIENTS WITH KIDNEY DISEASE
PA News Wire, 20 Oct 2015
The project also enjoyed coverage in
- The Diabetes Times
- Diabetes Forum.com
- StarMine News
- PharmaTimes Digital
- Contract/Grant agreement number
- EC contribution
- Starting date
1 May 2015
- NEPHSTROM public exhibition at Galway Science & Technology Festival 2018 26th November 2018
- NEPHSTROM presents at American Society of Nephrology Kidney Week, San Diego 30th October 2018
- NEPHSTROM Clinical Trial Underway at Four Locations 5th October 2018
- Five NEPHSTROM partners to participate in GMP November event in Galway 1st October 2018
- New NEPHSTROM study published in the CCLM 25th September 2018
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- Academisch Ziekenhuis Leiden – Leids Universitair Medisch Centrum
- Orbsen Therapeutics
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen
- Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri
- NHS Blood and Transplant
- University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- The Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Pintail Ltd
- Terumo BCT Europe N.V.
- Azienda Ospedaliera Papa Giovanni XXIII Bergamo